- B.A., 1972, Mathematics and Earth Sciences, University of California at San Diego
- Ph.D. 1978, Geophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Thesis Title: Intraplate Stress and the Driving Mechanism for Plate Tectonics
Thesis Advisor: Sean C. Solomon
- 1/2004-7/2004. Visiting Scholar, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge
- 8/2003-present, Professor of Geosciences, University of Arizona
- 2002-8/2003, Vice President for Undergraduate Education, University of Arizona
- 1998-2002, Assistant, Associate, then Interim VP for Undergraduate Education, University of Arizona
- 1996-present, Professor of Geosciences, University of Arizona
- 1995-1998, Associate Dean, College of Science, University of Arizona
- 1984-1996, Associate Professor of Geosciences, University of Arizona
- 1985-1986, Visiting Professor, with Fulbright support, University of Paris, France (10/85-5/86)
- 1983-1986, Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research
- 1982-1986, Visiting Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- 1978-1984, Assistant Professor of Geosciences, University of Arizona
- Richardson, R.M. and W. G. McCallum, The third R in literacy, in Quantitative Literacy: Why Numeracy Matters for Schools and Colleges, Bernard L. Madison and Lynn Arthur Steen (eds), NCED, Princeton, New Jersey, 2003.
- Richardson, R. M., "Stripes on the Sea Floor", "The Wave", "Geologic Time (Clothes) Line", and "Significant Figures", J. Geol. Ed., 48, 575-576, 584, 597, 2000.
- Pacanovsky, K. M., D. M. Davis, R. M. Richardson, and D. D. Coblentz, Intraplate stresses and plate-driving forces in the Philippine Sea Plate, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 1095-1110, 1999.
- Coblentz, D. D., S. Zhou, R. R. Hillis, R. M. Richardson, and M. Sandiford, Topography, boundary forces, and the Indo-Australian intraplate stress field, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 919-931, 1998.
- M.L. Zoback and R.M. Richardson, Stress perturbation associated with the Amazonas and other ancient continental rifts, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 5459-5475, 1996.
- D.D. Coblentz, R.M. Richardson, and M. Sandiford, On the gravitational potential energy of the Earth's lithosphere, Tectonics, 13, 929-945, 1994.
- D.D. Coblentz and R.M. Richardson, Statistical trends in the intraplate stress field, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 20,245-20,255, 1995.
- R.M. Richardson and D.D. Coblentz, Stress modeling in the Andes: Constraints on the South American intraplate stress magnitudes, J. Geophys. Res., 99, 22,015-22,025, 1994.
- D.D. Coblentz and R.M. Richardson, Analysis of the South American intraplate stress field, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 8643-8657, 1996.
- R.M. Richardson, Ridge forces, absolute plate motion, and the intraplate stress field, J. Geophys. Res., 97, 11,739-11,748, 1992.
- Project Kaleidoscope (Science Education reform)
- American Geophysical Union, including term as Chair of the Education and Human Resources Committee
- Member of Working Group I of the International Commission on the Lithosphere
- Member of International Association of Geodesists study group on plate dynamics
University of Arizona Service and Educational Activities
From 1995-2003 I worked in University administration, including service as associate dean of the College of Science, assistant and associate vice president for Undergraduate Education, and as vice president for Undergraduate Education. Primary responsibilities were in the areas of curriculum, general education, transfer articulation, honors program, financial aid, registrar, and admissions.
- I am now deeply involved in science education, especially science for non-science majors, including curricular reform at the university level and service at the national level through, for example, Project Kaleidoscope and the Education and Human Resources committee of the American Geophysical Union. P.I. or co-P.I. on three NSF-funded science education grants, including P.I. on the University of Arizona’s Recognition Award for the Integration of Research and Education (RAIRE).
Collaborators, Advisors, and Students
- Recent Collaborators: Mary Lou Zoback, U.S.G.S., Menlo Park, CA; Mike Sandiford, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia; Gregory Cole, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM; Mark Zoback, Stanford University; David Coblentz, Los Alamos National Laboratories, NM
- Graduate Advisor: PhD: Sean C. Solomon, then at MIT
- Former Graduate Advisees: David Coblentz (Ph.D.) and Andrew Freed (Ph.D) (last eight years)