- Ph.D., 1978, Geophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.S., 1973, Geology, University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee
- 1997-present: Professor, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- 1995-1997: Senior Research Scientist, Southern Arizona Seismic Observatory, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- 1986-1995: Center Head for Geosciences, Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, California
- 1986: Associate Professor of Geological Sciences, Department of Geological & Environmental Sciences, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton, Vestal, New York
- 1982-1985: Assistant Professor of Geological Sciences, Department of Geological & Environmental Sciences, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton
- 1978-1982: Postdoctoral Researcher and Research Assistant Professor, Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Geos 527 Orogenic Systems Lecture. The American Cordillera: Part III, The North American Taphrogen (pdf of PowerPoint file, download 12.6 MB)
- Ozacar, A., H. Gilbert, and G. Zandt (2008), Upper mantle discontinuity structure beneath East Anatolian Plateau (Turkey) from receiver functions, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 269, 426-434, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2008.02.036. (download 3.6 MB)
- Zandt, G., and E. Humphreys (2008), Toroidal mantle flow through the western U.S. slab window, Geology, 36(4), 295–298, doi: 10.1130/G24611A. (download 816 k)
- Frasetto, A., H. Gilbert, G. Zandt, S. Beck, M. Fouch (2006), Support of high elevation in the southern Basin and Range based on the composition and architecture of the crust in the Basin and Range and Colorado Plateau, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 429, 62-73, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2006.06.040. (download 628 k)
- Fromm, R., P. Alvarado, S. L. Beck, and G. Zandt (2006), The April 9, 2001 Juan Fernández Ridge (MW 6.7) tensional outer-rise earthquake and its aftershock sequence, J. Seismol., doi:10.1007/s10950-006-9013-3. (download 528 k)
- Gilbert H. , S. Beck, and G. Zandt (2006), Lithospheric and upper mantle sructure of central Chile and Argentina, Geophys. J. Int., 165, 383-398, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.02867.x. (download 1.0 MB)
- Wagner, L. S., S. Beck, G. Zandt, and M. N. Ducea (2006), Depleted lithosphere, cold trapped asthenosphere, and frozen melt puddles above the flat slab in central Chile and Argentina, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 245, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2006.02.014. (download 1.2 MB)
- Wagner, L. S, S. Beck, and G. Zandt (2005). Upper mantle structure in the south central Chilean subduction zone (30° to 36°S), J. Geophys. Res., 110, B01308, doi:10.1029/2004JB003238. (download 3.2 MB)
- Zandt, G., H. Gilbert, A. Ozacar, and T. Owens (2004). Fine-scale structure of the Moho from receiver functions: Effects of a deforming crust (poster), AGU 2004 Annual Meeting, San Francisco. (Adobe Illustrator CS file, download 12.2 MB)
- Zandt, G., H. Gilbert, T. J. Owens, M. Ducea, J. Saleeby, C. H. Jones (2004). Active Foundering of a Continental Arc Root Beneath the Southern Sierra Nevada, California, Nature 432, 41-46. (download 792 k) Supplementary Information (download 860 k)
- Anderson, J. O., G. Zandt, E. Triep, M. Fouch, and S. Beck (2004). Anisotropy and mantle flow in the Chile-Argentina subduction zone from shear wave splitting analysis, Geophys. Res. Lett. 31, L23608, doi:10.1029/2004GL020906. (download 316 k)
- Ozacar, A., and G. Zandt (2004). Crustal seismic anisotropy in central Tibet: Implications for deformational style and flow in the crust, Geophys. Res. Lett. 31, L23601, doi:10.1029/2004GL021096. (download 704 k)
- Fromm, R., G. Zandt, and S. L. Beck (2004). Crustal thickness beneath the Andes and Sierras Pampeanas at 30°S inferred from Pn apparent phase velocities, Geophys. Res. Lett. 31, L06625, doi:10.1029/2003GL019231. (download 356 k)
- Sherrington, H. F., G. Zandt, and A. Frederiksen (2004). Crustal fabric in the Tibetan Plateau based on wave form inversions, J. Geophys. Res. 109, B02312, doi:10.1029/2002JB002345. (download 25 MB)
- Ducea, M., S. Kidder, and G. Zandt (2003). Arc composition at mid-crustal depths: Insights from the Coast Ridge Belt, Santa Lucia Mountains, California, Geophys. Res. Lett. 30(14), 1703, doi:10.1029/2002GL016297.
- Leidig, M. and G. Zandt (2003). Modeling of highly anisotropic crust and application to the Altiplano-Puna volcanic complex of the central Andes, J. Geophys. Res. 108(B1), 2014, doi:10.1029/2001JB000649. (download 2 MB)
- Zandt, G. (2003). The southern Sierra Nevada drip and the mantle wind direction beneath the southwestern United States, Int. Geol. Rev. 45, 213-224. (download 204 k)
- Zandt, G. M. Leidig, J. Chmielowski, D. Baumont and X. Yuan (2003). Seismic detection and characterization of the Altiplano-Puna magma body, central Andes, PAGEOPH 160, 789-807. (download 828 k)
- Beck, S., and G. Zandt (2002). The nature of orogenic crust in the central Andes, J. Geophys. Res. 107(B10), 2230. (download 1.4 MB)
- Baumont, D., A. Paul, G. Zandt, S. L. Beck, and H. Pedersen (2002). Lithospheric structure of the central Andes based on surface wave dispersion, J. Geophys. Res. 107(B12), 2371, doi:10.1029/2001JB000345. (download 1.2 MB)
- DeCelles, P.G., D.M. Robinson and G. Zandt (2002). Implications of shortening in the Himalayan fold-thrust belt for uplift of the Tibetan Plateau, Tectonics 21(6), 1062, doi:10.1029/2001TC001322. (download 1.0 MB)
- Zandt, G. (2002). News and Views article: The slippery slope, Nature 417, 497-498. (download 76 k)
Other Significant Publications
- Chmielowski, J., G. Zandt, and C. Haberland (1999). The Central Andean Altiplano-Puna magma body, Geophys. Res. Lett. 26, 783-786.
- Owens, T. J. and G. Zandt (1997). The implications of crustal property variations on models of Tibetan Plateau evolution, Nature 387, 37-43.
- Zandt, G., S. L. Beck, S. R. Ruppert, C. J. Ammon, D. Rock, E. Minaya, T. C. Wallace and P. G. Silver. (1996). Anomalous crust of the Bolivian Altiplano, central Andes: Constraints from broadband regional seismic waveforms, Geophys. Res. Lett. 23, 1159-1162. 1159-1162.
- Beck, S. L., G. Zandt, S. C. Myers, T. C. Wallace, P. G. Silver, and L. Drake (1996). Crustal thickness variations in the central Andes, Geology 24, 407-410.
- Zandt, G. and C.J. Ammon (1995). Continental crust composition constrained by measurements of crustal Poisson's ratio, Nature 374, 152-154, .
- Zandt, G., S. C. Myers and T. C. Wallace (1995). Crust and mantle structure across the Basin and Range - Colorado plateau at 37° north latitude and implications for Cenozoic extensional mechanism, J. Geophys. Res. 100, 10,592-10,548.
- Zandt, G., A. A. Velasco and S. L. Beck (1994). Composition and thickness of the southern Altiplano crust, Bolivia, Geology 22, 1003-1007.
- Zandt, G. and C. R. Carrigan (1993). Small-scale convective instability and upper mantle viscosity under California, Science 261, 460-463.
National Service to the Seismological Community
NSF Continental Dynamics Program Panel (1997-2002); USGS Review Panel on Seismic Networks (1997); associate editor, Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth (1995-1998); LLNL-IGPP University Collaborative Research Proposal (UCRP) review committee (1995-1997); Workshop Advisory Committee for Lithospheric Science Workshop (ILIAD), Taos, New Mexico (1994); LLNL-IGPP representative to Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) (1992- 1995); PASSCAL Standing Committee, Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) and subcommittee on Rapid Array Mobilization Plan (RAMP) (1992-1994); Review Panel for the USGS National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) external research program for the Pacific NW region (1992-1994).
University of Arizona Service and Educational Activities
At the University of Arizona I teach a survey course on Earth Sciences for non-science majors with an enrollment of ~150 undergraduates. I teach graduate courses in Advanced Seismology, Inverse Methods in Geophysics (with Randy Richardson) and Orogenic Systems. I also participate at the a Junior Education Table, an educational outreach program at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show where we interact with nearly 3000 kids.
Collaborators, Advisors, and Students
- Recent Collaborators: A.W. Frederiksen (U. of Manitoba); A.A. Velasco (UTEP), T. J. Owens (S. Carolina); S.L. Beck, T.C. Wallace, C. Chase, P.G. DeCelles, M. Ducea (Arizona); C. J. Ammon (Penn State); K. Koper (St. Louis); H.M. Benz (USGS); S. Myers, J. Swenson (LLNL); R. Kind (Potsdam, Germany)
- Graduate Advisor: K. Aki (USC)
- Post-Graduate Advisors: W.R. Arabasz and R. B. Smith (Utah)
- Undergraduate Advisees: Koichi (JJ) Sakaguchi (co-advisor with Susan Beck), Andrew Frassetto (undergraduate summer intern from University of South Carolina)
Graduate Advisees at LLNL: T. J. Owens (S. Carolina), C.J. Ammon (St. Louis), G.R. Randall (LANL)
Graduate Advisees at the UofA, M.S. Program: Heather Folsom (2002), Jason Erickson (2002) James Zavacky, Eric Miller (2001), Mark Leidig (2000), Katie Connelly (co-advisor with Chase), Craig Whitted (1999), Josef Chmielowski (1999), Julie Graham (co-advisor with Chase).
Graduate Advisees at the UofA, Ph.D. Program: Megan Anderson (Ph.D. 2000-), Joshua Calkins (co-advisor with Susan Beck, 2003-), Jerome Guynn (co-advisor with Paul Kapp, 2002-)
- Post-Graduate Advisees: A. Velasco (UTEP), S. Ruppert (LLNL), D. Baumont (France), H. Gilbert (UofA)