Department of Geosciences Code of Conduct
What we value:
Diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, physical ability, religion, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status and many other attributes enhances the creativity, innovation, and impact of our department. Diversity and inclusivity strengthen our community and enrich the educational experience for our students. We are committed to maintaining an atmosphere that is open to differing perspectives, as well as creating and strengthening programs and policies that foster diversity and inclusion. We aim to remove barriers and provide inclusive opportunities in the classroom, the laboratory, and the field.
What this looks like:
To create a diverse, positive, inspiring, and safe environment for all members of the Department, we will:
- Foster a workplace climate that is intellectually engaging and free of harassment.
- Treat our colleagues with respect and consideration.
- Support and encourage our students. Provide clear expectations for research and academic performance and assist them with career goals.
- Make our classrooms, laboratories, and field trips accessible, working with the University of Arizona Disability Resources Center.
- Be respectful of the power imbalance between tenured professors - junior professors, professors - students, faculty - staff, and staff - students.
- Raise complaints and concerns through appropriate channels and only in good faith.
- Discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, per University of Arizona policy.
- Intimidation and bullying.
- Violations of academic integrity.
- Inappropriate interpersonal relationships that create conflicts of interest in instructional, supervisory, disciplinary, or evaluative contexts, per University of Arizona policy.
We invite your contributions to the well-being of our department. Please address questions, comments, and concerns related to this Code of Conduct to the Diversity and Inclusion Committee or the Department Head. For more specific help, you may also contact your course instructor, the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Institutional Equity, or the UAPD (520-621-8273) as appropriate for your situation.