Career Prep Webinar Series: Spring 2021
Each semester, we invite 3-4 Geosciences alumni to speak to undergraduate and graduate students about their time at the UofA and their career paths. The final half of each presentation is opened up to students who would like to ask questions. Here is our Spring 2021 Career Prep Webinar lineup:
Kyle House - "My Career in Geologic Mapping: Fusing the Science of Scenery with Words and Art"
March 19, 2021 at 2:00 - 3:00 PM MST
Stacie Gibbins - "An Economic Geologist in the Oil and Gas Industry"
March 26, 2021 at 2:00 - 3:00 PM MST
Julio Betancourt - "Navigating research opportunities in a changing world"
April 9, 2021 at 2:00 - 3:00 PM MST
Gary Huckleberry - "Geoarchaeology as a Profession"
April 23, 2021 at 2:00 - 3:00 PM MST
For more information on past career preparation seminars, and to view past recordings, please visit our archive!
What do Geoscientists do?
Although a great amount has been learned about the Earth, much more is yet to be discovered. Geoscience is everywhere. Geoscientists:
- Study and help mitigate volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods, and landslides
- Discover and help develop groundwater supplies, construction materials, mineral ores, and fossil fuels
- Explore new ideas about the natural world from the core of the Earth, to the the depths of the oceans, to the outer reaches of space
- Study physical and chemical processes in order to understand the origin and distribution of resources
- Provide scientific counsel and advice on preserving the environment, improving ecologically damaged areas, and determining the environmental impact of land development
- Work with people, data, information, ideas, and technology in the field and in the laboratory
Future Changes for the Geosciences Workforce
General Information About the Geosciences Field and Careers
- What is Geosciences?
- Why Earth Science? (Video)
- Careers in the Geosciences (Video)
- Geosciences Careers - American Geosciences Institute
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- American Geosciences Institute
- American Geophysical Union
- American Institute of Physics
- American Quaternary Association
- Arizona Geological Society
- Arizona Geological Survey
- Association for Women Geoscientists
- Geological Society of America
- International Quaternary Union
- Paleontological Society
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Society for Sedimentary Geology
- Society of Economic Geologists
- U.S. Geological Survey