PALYNOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA

Palynological research began at the University of Arizona in 1956 in the Geochronology Laboratories under the direction of Terah L. Smiley. The Geochronology Laboratories were on Tumamoc Hill, west of Tucson, Arizona, and they housed two Palynologists of rather different backgrounds and interests: Paul S. Martin, and Gerhardt Kremp. Also present was Ernst Antevs, who helped coin the term "Palynology." By 1962, two more palynologists had joined the Geochronology Laboratories -- Jane Gray and Lucy Cranwell Smith -- and Tucson had become a world center for palynological research.

In 1969 the Geochronology Program became part of the Department of Geosciences. Over the next 3 decades, many palynologists called Tucson "home:" Dave Adam, Scott Anderson, Steve Buchmann, Owen Davis, Patricia Fall, Suzie Fish, Dick Hevly, Bonnie Jacobs, Jim King, Vera Markgraf, Peter Mehringer, Mary Kay O'Rourke, Allan Solomon, Jim Schoenwetter, Charlie Schweger, Robert Thompson, and Nicea Wilder. In 1985 the palynology laboratories moved from Tumamoc Hill to the UofA Campus, where instruction and research by University of Arizona palynologists continues. Thirty-six dissertations and theses have been completed since 1956.

PALYNOLOGY at the University of Arizona

First International Pollen Congress, April 23-27, 1962
Fourth AASP Meeting, Oct. 13-16, 1971
Emeritus Faculty
Theses & Dissertations
Actual Photo of UofA Paleo Professor of Palynology

Owen Davis 2/99