PRACTICE QUIZ FOR LECTURE 4 MINERALS
Geos 101 Sects. 2 & 4H
Read each question carefully before you answer.
Click on the letter of the best answer.
[RETURN to 101 Sect. 2 & 4H Practice Exams]
- Atoms are built up from
- a. protons, neutrinos, and electrons.
- b. cations and anions.
- c. protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- d. elements and isotopes.
- The Earth's crust is composed chiefly of
- a. hydrogen and helium
- b. nickel and iron
- c. nitrogen and oxygen
- d. oxygen and silicon
- The basic building block of all silicate minerals is
- a. silicate chain
- b. silicate cube
- c. silicate sheet
- d. silicate tetrahedron
- a. are crystalline solids
- b. have a narrowly defined chemical composition
- c. are naturally formed
- d. all of the above
- The resistance of a mineral to scratching is its
- a. cleavage
- b. hardness
- c. specific gravity
- d. streak